Tuesday 26 February 2013

My Top Five Games That Need To Be Remade

Panzer Dragoon Saga.
I never usually do lists but I was thinking about games that I really would love to play again but the means or availability of the game do not permit me to experience them. I should explain that I don't think any of the games on this list are flawed and require a remake to justify their existence but I think that while thinking about the possibility of them being ported, might as well talk about the possibility of remakes.

I should also note that these are not an order of my favorite games but in terms of availability against the need for a remake of sorts. There are far more I wanted to add to this list than I could fit in any reasonable way. Games like Panzer Dragoon Saga I would have added but if I start on the Saturn, the list would be more or less a complete list of Sega Saturn games...Sorry.

5.Parasite Eve HD Remake
Easily one of the most exciting action RPGs on the Playstation
Parasite Eve was originally a game not too dissimilar to Vagrant Story, but with a modern setting and more action based gameplay. I feel Parasite Eve was ultimately the superior game. The game is actually a sequel to the Japanese novel by the same name. Aya Brea is a cop for the NYPD and soon finds herself surrounded by people bursting into flames while other creatures into monsters. The mitochondria inside their bodies are evolving and this also gives Aya powers.

Parasite Eve is such an interesting idea with a captivating story that I'm surprised they failed so much with the two sequels that were released.


4.Super Metroid HD Remake

We tried having Samus talk...Can we please go back to 2D now?
The problem with a Super Metroid remake is that there is basically nothing that needs to be changed. I mainly put this on the list so new fans can appreciate what I feel is the peak of the series and hopefully drag Nintendo back into making 2D Metroid games once again.


3.Rival Schools 1 & 2 HD Collection

If you had a Dreamcast you were spoilt for fighting games.
I would love to see a revival of the Rival Schools series. Fast paced, tag team gameplay with colourful and imaginative characters. This is something I can actually see Capcom doing some day. HD lick of paint, with netplay and some balancing and you can pretty much release the games just like that.


2.Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 Collection

Religious symbolism makes Shin Megami Tensei a task to localize.
I am a huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series but as of yet, the two major games in the series have not reached outside Japan. This upsets me as the dark story of the first two games were something rare to see on the Super Nintendo. Just Balance the difficulty a little bit and add an auto mapping feature and you'd be good to go.


1.Mother Complete Collection

Colourful games...I remember those.
My top spot is something that could never possibly happen but it's something I would very much like to see. Mother on the NES never saw the light of day outside Japan but those in America got to play Mother 2 on the Super Nintendo. Localized as Earthbound, it was a wacky game that broke many RPG conventions. It was set in a reasonably modern time and instead of fighting dragons and slimes you would fight bees and dogs. In place of a sword and shield, you would have a baseball bat and yo-yo. Against your foes you would not throw a magical fireball at your enemy but use your psychic powers against them.

Add Mother 3 to the mix and you'd have the ultimate collection if you're looking for a non conventional RPG. Nintendo could never release these games without some heavy editing as it plays music similar to licensed songs and various other copyright issues. So far there are not even any plans to release Earthbound on the Nintendo Virtual Console, So the likelihood of playing these games by normal means is next to impossible I am afraid to say.

2 comments:

  1. Funny I wrote a post about that myself just a little while ago. I think overall game developers might be underestimating just how big the "remake" business could be, seeing as sites like GoG.com are doing fairly well (as far as I know). I think there are tons of people out there that would love to get their hands on newer versions of old games, because today a lot of those games are just impossible to get hold of or in the case of PC games sometimes even impossible to get working on newer systems. I know many games can be acquired through things like PSNetwork, but just downloading it just isn't the same for me, especially not when it comes to video games rather than computer games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an ideal world, I would be happy with a service that perfectly emulates older games with software emulation. Nintendo did a pretty good job with virtual console but it's fairly limiting in reach and PAL regions still get stuck with horrible 50hz versions. Like you say, PC is an even more difficult matter. DosBox is technically useable but I find some games are still pretty unplayable. it's even less of an excuse with PC hardware as it's mostly a case of emulating old software OS systems anyway.

      Delete